Tuesday, February 19, 2013

CHOCOLATE CHIA PUDDING


CHOCOLATE CHIA PUDDING



Yum.
But Chocolate Pudding that is good for you?
Hard to find.  But this chia pudding really fits the bill. I have fond memories of warm pudding (made from a mix – Ugh!) from when I was growing up.  So it’s a comfort food that I love, but I needed to find a recipe that brought comfort to my whole self – not just my taste buds! I am always looking recipes that meet these criteria:
  • fast
  • budget-friendly
  • nutritious
  • delicious
Well, here is one that is sure to please on all counts. Partially because you can make it without sugar and partially because it’s main ingredient is – Chia! Chia is an amazing nutritional powerhouse.

What’s so great about chia?

  • 4 grams of complete protein
  • 4.5 grams of omega 3 oils
  • 5.5 grams fiber
  • 9% RDA calcium
  • 7% RDA iron

Wondering where to buy chia?

Try your local health food store, or online.  Amazon has a nice price and  Nutiva is quite good.
So here is another great way to get good nutrition into you and your family, without taking a lot of work.


Makes 3-4 servings
Ingredients

2 1/2 cups almond milk (or dairy-free alternative. 
1/2 cup chia (white or black)
6 Tbsp cacao powder (or carob) powder
2 scoops (1/16 tsp) stevia powder (or approx. 1/4 cup acceptable sweetener, to taste)
1/8 cup sweetener (agave)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch Himalayan sea salt

Directions

1.  Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor (UPDATE:  if you have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix, you can just process the whole thing in there.  If not, I have a tip.  Grind the chia seeds first and then blend everything together.)
2.  Mix thoroughly until ultra smooth.
3.  Pour mixture into a storage container, preferably glass.
4.  Store in the fridge (if you have any left).
5.  Top with coconut, chopped nuts (preferably soaked and dehydrated), Cacao nibs — you name it!

I am sure you are going to love this.  My family wolfed down all of my kitchen tested versions in a flash this morning.  So I would recommend making a double or triple batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment